The Humane Research Trust is a registered charity (no. 267779) committed to working with scientists to develop new medical research techniques without the use of animals, for the permanent benefit of people.
At The Humane Research Trust we are committed to protecting your personal information, being transparent about what we do with it and respecting your privacy.
How to contact us
If you have any questions regarding this policy or how we use your personal information, please do not hesitate to contact us using one of the following options:
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to us at:The Humane Research Trust
29 Bramhall Lane South
- Call us on : 0161 439 8941
This policy will explain areas of this website that may affect your privacy and personal details, how we process, collect, manage and store those details and how your rights under the GDPR, DPA & PECR are adhered to.
Changes to this policy
We are committed to protecting your privacy and security, and in being so, may, from time to time, change this policy by updating this page. As a continued user of this website, it would be beneficial to check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes. .
By using this website, you are agreeing to be bound by this policy and are accepting and consenting to the practices described in it.
This policy was last updated 15 March 2018
We gather and use certain information about you when you visit this website in order to provide appropriate goods and services, and to enable certain functions on this website. For example, when you make a donation via the site, contact us to enquire about our products, or if you register to receive our twice yearly newsletter and yearly catalogue.
We also collect information to better understand how visitors use this website and to present timely and relevant information to them.
Let’s talk about the type of information we may collect from you
Personal information is anything that can be used to identify you and might include some or all of the following:
- Title and/or Full Name
- Postal Address
- Contact information including telephone number and email address
- Demographic information, preferences and interests
- Website usage information e.g. Your IP address and information relating to which pages of the website are visited most often, which events, topics, and products generate the most interest
- Other information relevant to a specific enquiry you have made
We will never ask you, nor will we store, sensitive information about your health, racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, political opinion or other similar sensitive information.
If you make an online donation via our website, or buy any products from our webshop, none of your credit/debit card details are held by us. The payments for any such transactions are collected by our third party payment processors who are specialists in online secure payment transactions.
How do we use the information we collect?
Collecting this information helps us to understand what you are looking for from our organisation, enabling us to deliver the correct products and service information tailored to your needs or requirements. How we use your information will largely depend on the reason why you are providing it.
Specifically, we may use your information
- to keep a record of your relationship with us and for our own internal administration records such as our accounting records and Gift Aid records;
- to process orders you have placed with us and improve the products and services we provide;
- to process donations that you have made;
- to contact you in response to a specific request or enquiry, or to seek your views and opinions about the products/services we supply;
- to send you promotional emails about our products, services and other things we think might be relevant or of interest to you e.g. competitions, special offers;
- to send you our twice yearly newsletter and catalogue, if you have opted to receive them from us;
- to contact and announce competition winners;
- to claim Gift Aid on your donations;
We regularly review how long we retain personal information. We are legally required to hold certain types of information longer than others in order to satisfy our statutory obligations i.e. financial records for audit purposes, Gift Aid records for HMRC.
We will not use your information for marketing purposes if you have expressly indicated that you do not wish to be contacted for this purpose. We will retain your information but it will be marked accordingly to ensure you are not contacted again. If however you wish your details to be removed completely, then we will do so, unless we are legally bound to keep them.
Who has access to your information and do we share it?
We will not sell your information to any third parties. We do however need to share some of your information with our trusted third party service providers as detailed below:
We do share your email address and name with a third party data handler (MailChimp) for our email marketing campaigns. By email marketing we are referring to email communications designed and controlled by us, that are emailed out automatically by the data handler, to all subscribers who have signed up to receive communications in this way, from us. The data handlers software is able to track how many recipients did/did not open the emails, how many unsubscribed, where emails bounced back or where links were clicked in the email. Our chosen data handler – MailChimp never sells subscriber lists and neither MailChimp nor any of their related third parties has a direct relationship with our subscribers nor will they advertise their services to them.
You can very easily unsubscribe from receiving any further email communication from us. If you receive an email from us and do not wish to receive any more, simply:
- Clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of the email
- Contact us directly by email, by calling us, or by writing to us, to ask us to remove your email address from our records, and from our third party data handler’s records.
When you make a donation or place an order with us using our website/webshop, your payment transaction is processed by a third party payment processor (WorldPay) who specialise in secure online capture and processing of debit/credit card transactions. We do not hold any of your credit/debit card details on our website or in our records.
If you call us directly to make a donation/place an order, on completion of your transaction, all card details are immediately destroyed. Only staff authorised and trained to process payments will have access to your card details.
The Humane Research Trust complies with the payment card industry data security standard (PCI-DSS) publicised by the PCI Security Standards Council.
Ensuring the accuracy of the information we keep and your choices
We always aim to ensure the information we store about you is accurate and kept up to date. We are also currently working on ways to make it easier for you to review and update the information we hold about you, but in the meantime;
- want to know what personal information we hold about you
- want to update/change the personal information we hold
- no longer wish to receive communications from us or want to review how we communicate with you
please contact us using one of the below options:
- Email us at email@example.com
- Write to us at: The Humane Research Trust, Brook House, 29 Bramhall Lane South, Bramhall, Stockport, Cheshire, SK7 2DN
- Call us on 0161 439 8041
- Use the Contact Us form on our website
Ensuring the security of the information we keep
We always endeavour to use and maintain strict procedures and install security features to help prevent unauthorised access to your information. However, when using the internet, no website or transmission of information is ever 100% secure. With this is mind and whilst we try to protect your information and privacy, The Humane Research Trust cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide over the internet i.e.by email or via our website. If you provide us with personal information over the internet, using any method, this is done entirely at your own risk.
If you have registered on our webshop and have been given or have generated a password, we ask that you keep this password confidential and do not share it with anyone.
Using links from our website
Are you under 16 years old?
If you are aged 16 or under – please ask a parent or guardian for their permission before you provide us with any personal information.
What is a Cookie and how do we use them?
As required by legislation, where applicable, this website uses a cookie control system, allowing the user to give explicit permission or to deny the use of/saving of cookies on their computer /device.
- Analyse our web traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve the website structure, design, content and functions.
- Store information about your preferences. The website can then present you with information you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our website. We may then show you relevant content or purchases made previously, or provide functionality you used previously.
- To identify whether you are signed in to our website.
Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website or use the cookie control system if available upon their first visit.
If you wish to know more detail about the cookies we use, please contact us.
Your choices concerning the information we hold about you
When you fill in a form or provide your details on our website, you will see one or more tick boxes which you will need to tick if you want to :
- Receive hard copy marketing communications from us primarily our newsletters/catalogue
- Receive emails about our products, services, competitions, events etc
- Receive telephone calls about products you have ordered or general inquiries you have made
If you no longer wish to be contacted by us in any of the above ways, you can change your mind at any time using one of the below methods;
- Sign in to our website and change your opt-in settings or message us via our contact form
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write to us at: The Humane Research Trust, Brook House, 29 Bramhall Lane South, Bramhall, Stockport, Cheshire SK7 2DN
- Telephone us on: 0161 439 8041 during business hours
Where will your information be stored?
We currently hold your information on our database, website shop, in computer files, email records and/or as paper records.